Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Sniffles, Smiles, and New Toys!

Last time I wrote Dallin was out of town in Reno competing in the Lead competition for the Construction Management program here at BYU-Idaho. Please don't ask me what he did there because everything he tries to tell me about it comes out sounding like a whole different language, one that I do not speak, at all. From what I do understand, he was in the Lead group, which was one of a few different teams that went to compete from our University. His team was given a problem and a certain amount of time to come up with an answer and present their findings. February 14th, our first valentines as a married couple might I point out, they were in solitary confinement, where they each worked on different parts of the problem. Dallin's did a great job, but they didn't place in the top 3, but I believe 3 other teams from our campus placed 2nd (better than BYU and Dallin would like me to add that it was better than the Florida team). Now, if all of that sounded like something foreign, I'm sorry I tried.

Dallin just got a new job building houses in Rexburg. The pay isn't the best, but he doesn't have to travel far to get to work and he can use it for one of his internships in the summer if nothing else turns out. It may not be his favorite job for the time being, but we are counting our blessings and it gives us each more motivation to get our degrees.

School is going well for both of us, but we are both ready for it to be over. Dallin is still enjoying construction management and is applying for internships for this fall. I am really starting to enjoy my major of Child Development. We worry about our future children and how much fun they will actually have with the knowledge I am gaining about everything that affects children, however, I am also learning great ways to teach children in ways that they will love and enjoy. With the plan of both of us graduating next summer, we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

My seasonal depression is starting to melt away along with the 4 feet of snow. Slowly, but surely the temperatures are rising out of the negatives and are even reaching the low 30's. I never thought I would enjoy 30 degree weather, its sad if I think about it too much.

My birthday was on Monday. I found out the week before that one of my favorite restaurants had a location in Orem, Utah. So we decided to go and visit Dallin's sister for the weekend and go out to the restaurant for my birthday. When my in-laws found out our plans they sent me a gift card for that restaurant for my birthday. After heading out Friday afternoon, we got a phone call letting us know that the restaurant closed about a year ago. Well, me being the optimistic one (not) wanted to turn around and go home to sulk for the weekend. My loving husband, however, convinced me that we would still head down and have a relaxing enjoyable weekend. Well, by Saturday afternoon, I was feeling miserable with a new cold that lasted me through the weekend and kept me flat in bed on my birthday. I did get a new sewing machine from Dallin and a gift card to the local glorified craft store from my parents, I am happy for my new toys despite the actual birthday.

3 comments:

PotatoJack said...

happy belated birthday! i hope you are feeling better. by the way...we have been hitting the high 40s...almost 50!! :)

Margaret and Jason Mair said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Colds suck anytime of the year but they really bite on your birthday! We miss you guys! If you are ever in Salt Lake call us up and we can go out! Muah!

I know all about the winter blues! I am so glad that the weather is starting to get better here! No more snow till Christmas is my plea! =)

asauser said...

Hey Court! (Is if okay if I call you that?!) Sorry to hear you suffer from SAD a bit, I do too. This weekend here was so depressing. On monday and wednesday we were in the 70s and I was able to actually get out and walk (well stroller) with Andrew. Then thursday rain and cold, and TODAY WE HAD SNOW AND SLEET! This was cold ice pelty 'feb. snow' and not appropriate for the last weekend in April -- EVEN IN MN!!

So what is your favorite rest..?!