Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

You have heard million of stories about where people were when they found out about the September 11th terrorist attacks. Mine isn't too different then most people my age.

I was sitting in my first period 9th grade math class when my teacher got a phone call on his cell phone. This wasn't too unusual and I didn't think anything of it until he turned on the TV to the news. There was a tall building with smoke billowing out. I had no idea what building it was or even what city it was in. Even after my teacher told us what and were it was I still had no idea the magnitude of the situation. I now feel bad that my thoughts kept thinking "what is the big deal?"

As the day wore on I went to various classes, some had the TV on some didn't. I wasn't receiving much more information and still didn't understand what was going on. My english teacher even asked us to write down out thoughts in our journal for the daily entry that day. I remember sitting there feeling dumb because I still didn't understand what was going on and feeling too stupid to ask.At lunch two girls were crying. I was told that it was because their brother was in the army. I once again thought to myself "whats the big deal, we aren't at war or anything."

This continued until I was sitting in choir and had learned a little more. It then hit me. My dad travels all the time, in fact, most of the time he leaves in the morning and is back that night. I rarely knew when or where he was going. While I was sitting in choir I realized I had no idea where my dad was that day. I began to cry and didn't even know what to do. When I got home later that day and learned that my dad was in town all day I finally calmed down. However, by then I realized that I needed to find out what the hype was all about. I remember sitting in my parents bedroom for most the afternoon and evening watching the news and learning about the World Trade Centers.
Photobucket Image Hosting
Now as I sit here today on the 7th anniversary of this event, I am happy to set all political opinions aside. I feel so blessed to be a citizen of this free country. I pray for those soldiers who are fighting to keep that freedom and for the families of those soldiers. I want to say thank you to them and for all that they have sacrificed for this country.

No comments: