Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Trip across the country

On Thursday, July 7th, we loaded everything we owned into the moving truck. Thanks to all that helped, we would have been in a lot of trouble if we hadn't had your help. Special thanks to my dad who loaded the truck like a pro! There wasn't an inch of free space. The door to the truck was closed as the rain started coming down. We sent Olivia home with my parents while we did some last minute errands and then head to my parents to spend the night. That is when the trouble began.

We didn't get back to my parents until pretty late that night and planned to leave early the next morning. We decided, even though it was dark and raining, that we needed to get the car loaded on the the tow dolly that night so we could leave the next morning without the worry of loading it up. However, when I went to pull the rope over the front tire I felt the radial of the tire. There wasn't much we could do about it right then so we choose to worry about it when we got to California.

We woke early the next morning and headed out. After a word of prayer and a goodbye to family we were on the road.

The first day was long but went great. Olivia did wonderful and almost never complained. Our plan was to drive that whole day stay in a hotel and then drive a little longer to spend some time with my grandparents in TX. We were ready to leave the hotel when Dallin went out to check the truck and the car to find what he thought were two flat front tires on the focus. Since it was a short day and we didn't want to risk it we took the car in first thing that morning to get the tires changed. It was a time and money set back that didn't make us very happy (however, it turned out to be multiple blessings in disguise). In the end we had to replace 3 of the four tires. Once that was done we were on the way again. We spent time with my grandparents, whom Olivia had never met, and were back on the road the next day to continue our journey.

Olivia spent most the the car ride hanging on to her dad's arm. We tired moms since dad drove most of the time and needed his arm free, but moms arm was not good enough and was thrown to the side right away.

The next day was long, but uneventful. Our last day on the road was the longest, most stressful. After getting gas and getting on the road we discovered that the gas gage on the truck was acting a bit funny. We had just filled up and after being on the road for a short time the gage would drop all the way down. Dallin pulled over turned the truck off, turned it back on and the gage jumped back up and was fine until we stopped for gas again. The next time we filled up we were not so lucky. The same thing happened and we decided to watch our miles. We started to get a little low on gas and decided to stop at the next exit. That, however, didn't happen when we ran out of gas in the middle of the California dessert about 5-10 miles before the next exit. We pulled over and made the decision to unload the focus (now with new tires that would make it to the next exit) and Dallin would go get some gas. Olivia and I waited in the heat with the truck. Dallin pulled up to the next gas station to find that it was shut down and he would have to drive roughly another 20 miles to the next gas station. In the end we were safe and watch over, but it was scary and not fun to be dealing with this situation.

We finally pulled into our hotel that we would be staying in until found a place to live around 11pm (18 hours of driving). We felt blessed to have made it there safe and sound.

1 comment:

e. said...

Whoa. This is crazy stuff. I can't believe that you moved in just two weeks! And I can't believe all the craziness that happened on your trip. I'm glad you made it there safely!