Wednesday, December 19, 2012

This I Do Know

Friday morning Dallin left for work and the rest of us started our day. It was a regular day. Olivia, Dallin and I once again have another cold so most of the morning was spent cuddling and soothing Olivia. Eventually I turned on the TV and was immediately bombarded with the news of a school shooting that had happened. I was sucked in right away. As I learned the devastating news I sat on the couch crying and my precious two year old immediately caught on to my mood. She quickly ask if I was sad and did I need kisses and did she need to sing me a song to help me feel better. Of course she is too young to even begin to comprehend the reason for my sadness and for that I am grateful. I spent most of that day trying to comprehend the situation myself. I quickly snuggled my new born and kissed my toddler. I spent a lot of time crying and praying. I hope I never have to suffer the kind of grief that each of those families are now suffering from.

Each time I sat down to write this post Olivia would ask me to play with her or sing to her or simply just hold her. I have been faced with the reality that what time I have with my children here on this earth is so very precious and something that I need to learn to treasure more. I truly have no words to express that pain and sadness that I feel for our nation at this time.

I am not one to say I have all the answer's, but I do know this. I know our country was founded by some amazing men.

President Wilford Woodruff declared that “those men who laid the foundation of this American government were the best spirits the God of heaven could find on the face of the earth. They were choice spirits … [and] were inspired of the Lord” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1898, p. 89).
 
Unfortunately, we as a nation have apostatized in various degrees from different Constitutional principles as proclaimed by the inspired founders. We are fast approaching that moment prophesied by Joseph Smith when he said: “Even this nation will be on the very verge of crumbling to pieces and tumbling to the ground, and when the Constitution is upon the brink of ruin, this people will be the staff upon which the nation shall lean, and they shall bear the Constitution away from the very verge of destruction” (19 July 1840, as recorded by Martha Jane Knowlton Coray; ms. in Church Historian’s Office, Salt Lake City).
 
I do know that gun control is not the answer. I do know that, in our society, we throw too much money at violence. I do know that we all have our free agency. I know that I am grateful for my eternal family. I know that I will be giving extra hugs and trying to have more patience.

I do know that as we sit down on Christmas morning and watch our children open presents I will be thinking of all the families that won't be able to witness such an event.

I know that our Heavenly Father is mindful of each of His children. I do know that those sweet innocent children were welcomed with open arms into his presence and that those who died to help protect them were hero's. I know that our Savior suffered for each of us so that He could take some of our burden and our grief.

This I do know.

More of the above conference address can be found here.

No comments: